Fever or pyrexia is an elevation of body temperature to a level above normal and is a defense of the body against infection. It is considered normal temperature of 36.5 degrees Celsius, when measured under the armpits and 37 degrees Celsius in a rectal measurement.
The fever is a reaction of our body against any offending agent as part of a set of nonspecific reactions in our body to eliminate such aggression, writing in an inflammatory response, in most cases, a common infection.
Main causes of fever:
- bacterial or viral infections , flu, cold, HIV, malaria, mononucleosis, estreptocícita pharyngitis (sore throat), flu, chicken pox, measles, mumps, among others.
- localized inflammations , boils, acne, dental abscesses, etc.
- Tissue injury resulting from major surgery, minor surgery, tooth extractions, infarction, hemolysis, etc.
- Adverse reaction to drugs and vaccines
- The problem related to metabolism, such as porphyria or gout
- Proceedings thromboembolic
It is considered established when a fever temperature measurement revealed:
- 98 degrees Fahrenheit (37.2 degrees Celsius) or more when measured in the armpit
- 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius) or more when you take into the anus or heard (less common)
- 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit (37.5 degrees Celsius) or more when measured in the mouth
Main symptoms of fever
- Increased body temperature higher than 37.5 degrees Celsius
- Chills, body temperature due to meet the higher environmental
- Increased heart rate and muscle tone
- Tremor and seizures
- In severe cases seizures may present an intense and accompanied by delirium
- Lack of appetite
- Malaise and fatigue
Despite being a defense of the body fever, in some situations should be treated, especially when it has a high temperature:
- Normal – 36.3 ° C at about 6 am, 37.0 ° C at about 16h
- Low fever – 37.5 ° C to 38 ° C
- Mild fever – from 38.1 ° C to 39 ° C
- High fever – up to 39.1 ° C
1. First of all, we must always be alert to body temperature, low-grade fevers do not usually need treatment and are even useful in defending the body against injury is causing it, worry about fevers with temperatures characteristic of moderate to high
2. Use comfortable clothes that allow a good sweat , like cotton pajamas. It is important not to use heavy coats, even feeling cold, because this will prevent your body heat to dissipate, further increasing its temperature
3. Keep at rest . The characteristic of febrile illness is nothing more than a signal of the need to direct your body’s efforts to combat the injury, work with it
4. Drink plenty of fluids , especially fruit juices, coconut water and isotonic solutions (those who use the gym, so you’ll be replacing fluids and salts that are usually lost during sweating characteristic of fever. In addition, the fluid intake can contribute to the elimination of pathogens
5. Use cold compresses to reduce body temperature. Apply them on the forehead, wrist and joints.
6. With the help of a damp cloth or sponge, humidify the face frequently , the evaporation of this moisture will contribute to the dissipation of body heat thereby decreasing the temperature
7. With the consent doctor, use antipyretic drugs such as paracetamol and aspirin
8. Take a warm bath and long , this will reduce the discomfort caused by fever and contribute to the decrease of temperature. Mind you, a hot shower can raise your body temperature and a cold can cause thermal shock. So pay attention: take a warm bath !
9. Keep your room ventilated thereby facilitating the exchange of air and maintaining the temperature
10. Eat even if the appetite is missing, natural in these cases, it is important to keep feeding it aims to recover quickly and effectively. Give preference to easy to digest foods like fruits, yogurts, soups, porridges, etc..
11. It is extremely important to inform your doctor about the symptoms, especially when they are persistent.